- Law of Closure - we perceive closed and complete forms when given sufficient parts
- Law of Similarity - things that are similar are perceived as a group or related
- Law of Proximity - we form groups out of things that are closer or equally further than other things
- Law of Symmetry - symmetrical forms are perceived as belonging together
- Law of Continuity - once a pattern is recognized we perceive its repetition
- Law of Common Fate - things that move or act the same are perceived as a group
Many Gestalt principles rely on a good use of positive and negative shapes. Altering edges of an object to serve a dual purpose for another form can help you to make use of Gestalt priniciples. Always take a step back from your work and try to see what sort of connections and visual order people will try to make of your work.